Friday, September 22, 2006

Cadaver Catwalk

This is Stella Tennant, a model of asristocratic hauteur, who I think I prefer with her clothes on; here she looks like a cadaver. I have long maintained that models are those who can look healthy whilst being unhealthy, & there are a lot of unhealthy ways to stay this slender, although some models are naturally this thin. I am alarmed to hear Liz Jones has existed on 800 calories a day for the last 20 years. It reminds me of Julia Robert's line in Notting Hill when she says she's been starving for 20 years, which I suspect it is supposed echo.
One model is dead and the whole industry needs to take responsiblity from high fashion to high street to agents. The pressure to stay thin is enormous in every sphere, actresses hire personal trainers and dehydrate themselves to appear as they do on screen, unless they are sensible and British like Emma! We should all be rebelling against those red circles on the cover of Heat Magazine et al; "The problem with the press is that no one's a winner: thin women are disgusting and so are fat women..." (Erin O'Connor).
When did size become the arbiter of anything? Oh & there is good thin & bad thin; the latter represented by Nicole Ritchie. I am aiming to be the thinking man's crumpet, but am realistic to know I would never get a date in competitive NYC, depressingly I don't think anyone would be interested in my brain, or at least to find out what was in there before they wrote me off. I know women in NY are probably making just the same judgements about men, it just is a bit bleak that relationships can become less about sharing our humanity, and more about the reflected glory of whatever assests we choose to value.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home