Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Way We Are

I've written before about being proud of my friends, and I can't really say that I am friends with Kevin because I was just at primary school with him, but we may have been friend then! Well, he remembers me as being nice, not something I remember about myself, but I have a tendency to remember the bad bits in life somehow.
If I had a scanner I would scan in the photo I have somewhere of Kevin and Oliver Saunders on the steps of the swiss chalet on a school trip to the Isle of Wight, I was in love with Oliver Saunders, sadly he doesn't remember me at all! So look at what Kevin is doing now, so amazing, & he loves his job too.
"Kevin Bakhurst became Controller of BBC News 24 in December 2005. Previously he was Editor of the BBC Ten O'Clock News, having been appointed in March 2004 after being Acting Editor since September 2003.

He was born in 1965 and attended Haberdasher's Aske's School in Elstree and then St John's College, Cambridge where he read French and German. (All later sucess predicated on first attending Cromer Road Primary School in New Barnet!)

After a brief spell with PriceWaterhouse, he became a researcher, then assistant producer at the BBC Business and Economics Unit in 1989. In 1990 Kevin became a producer of the BBC Nine O'Clock News. He gained production experience in Brussels for BBC News in 1994/5. From 1996 to 2001 he was assistant editor of the Nine O'Clock and Ten O'Clock News. From 2001 to 2003 he was an editor at BBC News 24 and from 2003 to 2004 he became acting editor of the BBC Ten O'Clock News - and was confirmed in that position in March 2004.

In 2004, the Ten O'Clock News received a Bafta for its coverage of the Madrid bombing, and a Royal Television Society Award for News Programme of the Year. The programme also won an the RTS News Event award for its coverage of the Darfur crisis in 2004 and the Ten won a second Bafta in 2005 for coverage of the July 7th bombings in London. He was in Washington to cover both the Bill Clinton and George W Bush elections and also the political aftermath of 9/11. He also covered the Hong Kong handover in 1997."
I nearly met up with him at TV Centre a couple of years ago, having got in touch through friends reunited, but I was to be on TV to talk about M&S & I lost my nerve. Once You and Yours got in touch to talk about cycling in London cycle lanes, & my mouth got so dry talking to the researcher, I knew I would only be good for dead air probably why I didn't call Eddie Mair on Any Answers last weekend. Nobody who knows me would ever take me for someone who could be struck dumb... I think Oliver is doing something interesting to do with medieval history, & I know who I'd rather have lunch with, so maybe I'll squidge that in when I am less busy writing a paper about paedophiles; oh I know how to live!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home