Monday, December 18, 2006

Not Such A Fairy Tale

I don't know about you, but there is only one Christmas song I can listen to with joy, but now I listen to it with a touch of sadness in my heart. In Irish pubs where they still sing together, Fairytale has become as much a standard as Danny Boy Today is the anniversary of Kirsty's passing. Six years on, and her death is not notable for the justice surrounding it. Her mother, Jean, is keeping up the Justice For Kirsty campaign on her website which you can check for the latest news. I wrote to my MP via the site once but he said it was out of his jurisdiction. When the Pogues sing the song these days, someone is nominated for Kirsty’s part, & it frequently goes to Ella Finer, daughter of Jem in the band who co-wrote the song with Shane MacGowan who thinks “it works fine with Ella, partly as it keeps it in the family, and partly because Fairytale is meant to be a song from an older man to a younger woman. And I knew her before she was born.”

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger ed iglehart said...

Also my favourite Christmas song of all time. Love the Pogues and Kirsty.

xx
ed

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my favurite song too.

Mary

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home