Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Not a Games Person

"Not a Games Person" is an illustrated, abridged version of Julie Myerson’s memoir, which spends 45 minutes immersed in the sights, sounds and smells of a school sports day in the late 1960s. It is a poignant, funny memoir, capturing the dread experienced by any schoolgirl who's not at their best on the games field. You can listen again to this drama starring Claire Skinner and Nina Sosanya.
I think I was actually good at lacrosse, not that good, but chosen for the team. Although, on reflection, I suspect there weren't that many takers for the 8am practice sessions which took place on a frozen pitch and left our thighs mottled because track suits were forbidden.
I had moments of brilliance in those things which matter so much at school, I think there was a rounders moment, but it was rare, & I really can't remember what it felt like to be part of the team. I wonder. Actually, a friends reunited primary school friend once said he remembered me being a very nice child, and I couldn't remember what I was like at all, I know it is a long time ago, but I think it was more a sense of never getting things right at home which meant I couldn't possibly of thought of myself as nice. I do hope I was though.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home