Thursday, July 27, 2006

Serendipity

My favourite word and occurance, and I have just been inspired by the only person who has left a comment on my blog thus far; CC Esq.; I'm not complaining, I have written anything for anyone to comment on, but his word is misanthropy and I love words. You see, I haven't written anything because I didn't know what to write, but under this heading CC Esq, has written about being a fool and taking youself seriously which is so interesting to me. A lot of life dictates we take something seriously, and our self-esteem would probably be at risk if we didn't take ourselves seriously at all, but there is a crucial balance to execute.

I have a pair of sunglasses with a double G on them, but not sure what that says about me or what others think of me. All of my sunglasses have them and none are ever this seasons because I buy them in the sales. I am wondering if the ubiquity of designer sunglasses is a result of wanting to claim status or wanting to fit in, and then my rambling mind led me to think about fitting in generally in the various social circumstances we find ourselves in.

I have (lovely) friends who wouldn't risk making a fool of themselves, something I patently don't care about because the risk is worth the rewards. I don't just mean rewards at work, or in terms of status or money, rather a smile, a laugh, someone opening up honestly in return, or anything that just makes life nicer and more interesting.

Imagine walking into a room full of people you don't know, what do you feel; are you scared or excited? Sometimes I'm worried; I don't have the social skills to really shine at small talk, but mostly I anticipate finding out something interesting about someone, it rarely fails to happen. When nervous, I think that everyone is feeling about the same, and if I can just work out a way to get them to talk about something they are interested in, they might loosen up and I still get to find out something interesting. Or boring...

1 Comments:

Blogger Amsterdamn said...

I always start with, "and where are you from?" It always works.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home